Okay, maybe I'll talk to you.



Tardy


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Sorry it's been so long. There has been a bunch of things going on in my life and only now am I getting the chance to try and tell them. Unfortunately, I'm really tired, so I'm just going to quickly mention some things.

Thursday I went to Jason Webley's concert. It was amazing, as always. He sung a song about aardvarks and had everyone huddle together and he told stories. It was simply beautiful.

I spent Thursday morning writing an English paper. I turned it in that afternoon and got my midterm back. It was disappointing to learn that I tied Tom with 100%. It was a ridiculous midterm.

Friday was busy trying to convince myself I wasn't going to fail the Greek quiz and trying to remember how to diagram sentences for my Grammar midterm. I think I succeeded in the latter. The former didn't work out so well, but I usually get a B, so I guess I'll go with that.

I skipped my Classics lecture for a dress rehearsal for our myth skits and 30 minute Odyssey. It was long, but pretty fun.

Today was Classics Day. It started out pretty slow, with everyone dreading the worst. There was one handful of high school kids, about 5, whose teacher once went to Davis. It was mostly alumni and friends and family of the students, which ended up being quite a bit.

We started off our pathetic morning at 10:30, which, we soon learned, is about 2 hours too early for college students. I was first in giving a monologue, which went well. The rest of the monologues went, then we went to respective rooms. The three options were for College life with Classics, a lecture by Dr. Traill, and Career Opportunities for Classicists. I went to the last one, since it was going to be the lowest in attendance and was actually the only one that interested me. I'm amazed at how much I learned. I'm really excited now.

Following that was the myth skits, in which I was the narrator. They went over very well, thanks to Raed's immature sense of humor and collection of strange props.

Lunch was great. The attendance was extremely overestimated, so they ordered about three times as much food as was necessary. No problem though.

After lunch was the performance by Stanley Lombardo. It was something that's probably on the same level as watching a rowing competition. It's sort of cool if you watch it for a little bit, but amazing if you actually row. Although, it was pretty much just a reading of the Odyssey. Except some of it was in Greek. Come to think of it, I think everyone enjoyed it. He has an amazing way with his voice, how pure emotion can flow out of it. His intent was to make it as close as possible to how Homer performed it, and I think he did a better job than anyone I've ever heard of. Except for Homer, because he's just amazing.

After that was a bunch of games, so I headed over to the Whole Earth Festival to hear Jason Webley begin his performance. That was fun, but really hot. His Thursday performance was more exciting, since it was almost entirely his overwhelming Davis fan base.

I ran back to the courtyard for the Odyssey in 30 minutes skit. I only had a little part in the beginning, so I spent most of my time holding the backdrop still. It was fun nonetheless. The crowd really enjoyed it, including Dr. Lombardo. We even included a part where Odysseus checks an old Lattimore translation to see what's supposed to happen, yet can't understand it because it's too literal. Then he whips out Lombardo's and exclaims, "Ah, a translation I can finally understand! With just the right amount of colloquialism! Isn't that right, Dr. Lombardo?" which at that point, everyone from behind the stage peeks out and gives him the thumbs up. Oh, good times.

Afterwards, I got him to sign my Illiad, Odyssey, and Hesiod. He even gave me a compliment on my Hippolytus performace. So we traded compliments.

In all, it was a fun day. At the end, I got to bike home with 50 cans of apple juice and about a dozen sandwiches. It was a slow and awkwardly weighted bike ride, but worth it.

Since I've gotten home, I really haven't done much. In fact, I'm going to go to bed right now.


0 Responses to “Tardy”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3